Tuesday, 17 September 2024
The fig tree analogy - i want to be understood
“I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet.” - The Bell Jar
“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in my life. And I am horribly limited.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
the tiktok beauty pandemic
Beauty trends come and go, we've seen it for a century. But one thing that never changes is the pressure on women and young girls to be...
-
This afternoon, a friend of mine offered me a can of cherry Coca-Cola, which I had noticed was full sugar. I looked at the calories and sug...
-
So I've just started year 11 and we're currently working on a project on eyes, but once we are done with that we will go back to do...

No comments:
Post a Comment